Pictured above are my carry-on bag essentials. It can be difficult to decide what to put inside your carry-on, but I wanted to stick to what I would definitely use during my flight and the first couple of hours after arriving at my destination.
- Medications and basic toiletries: I’ve packed these so I am able to freshen up on the plane before landing and have my essential medications in case of lost or delayed luggage. The majority of my makeup and liquid toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, hairspray) will be packed in my checked bag.
- Headphones, portable chargers, charging cords: These electronic accessories will keep my devices charged and ready for me during the flight and waiting at the airport. I’ve wrapped everything up with binder clips so I don’t drive myself crazy untangling everything!
- Neck travel pillow: This one is a must for me. Whenever I sleep without it I wake up to the worst neck pain. Since the flight is over seven hours, a nap makes the time go by fast and prepares me for the long day of sightseeing ahead.
- Folder of important documents: Copies of my plane tickets, passport, driver’s license, student id and insurance are all kept in here.
- Passport/passport holder: You can’t travel abroad without a passport, but why not make the small dark book easier to find in your bag with a bright passport holder?
- Wet wipes: Airports are not germ-free. Enough said.
- Kindle: When I’m not sleeping, I plan on reading. The book I will start on my flight is called The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. It has been recommended to me by multiple people, so I am looking forward to reading it!
- Umbrella: While an umbrella is probably a good idea no matter where you go, the reason I chose to put it in my carry-on is due to the high chance of rain once I arrive in Europe. The last thing I want is to be caught in the rain my first day!
- Wallet: I like this wristlet because I can remove it from my bag and take it with me if I don’t need a larger bag later on in my trip.
- Reusable water bottle: Since traveling can be exhausting and it is easy to become dehydrated on flights, I have a water bottle to fill up after going through security. It will also come in handy when I’m walking around cities.
*Not pictured is my laptop and an extra outfit I have packed in case my luggage is delayed or lost. Let’s hope that I don’t have to wear it!
Let me know what essential items you pack in your carry-on bag in the comments below!